Monday, July 16, 2012

IKEA Hack

Let me preface this by telling you this post is long, but there are a lot of pictures. I also need to tell you about my relationship with IKEA. I don't just like it, I like like it. I would go so far as to say I seriously love it. For those of you who have never experienced IKEA, you're missing out on some pretty awesome finds. Maybe just slightly, but still, missing out.

I consider myself blessed that I live in Texas where there are not 1, nor 2, but 3, THREE! IKEA stores. Add on top of that the fact that I live a mere 25 minutes (at least on a really good traffic day) away from the IKEA in Houston and you have a recipe for some really awesome decorating, organizing and/or DIY-ing. Unless you're my husband, and then it's a recipe for disaster, but that's a whole different ball of wax...

Now, I recently stumbled on a new-to-me category of DIY called IKEA Hacks. This is basically where you take one of the fabulous, yet cookie-cutter (yes, I'll admit it's all pretty cookie-cutter) and make it your own.
Yesterday, I did just this exact thing. I bought the nightstand with the intention of redoing it, even before I discovered IKEA hacking. This little beauty is what I started with:



It is an IKEA Rast nightstand. You can find it here. Now I will say, if you buy one of these brand new and haven't put it together completely, stop before you put the drawers into the frame and before you put the knobs on the drawers.

Here's what I used:



Nightstand, heavy duty wrapping paper (mine had guidelines for cutting on the back--so much easier than cutting straight on your own!), Mod Podge, paint (I used a sample can of Glidden Duo in Onyx Black), paint brushes and a screwdriver.

Separate the drawers from the frame and unscrew the knobs. Paint the top, front and sides of the frame, knobs and the back of the drawers (drawers optional, but the bottom of the back is open)



While that is drying, measure and cut out your wrapping paper to cover the drawer fronts. When you have those, spread a layer of Mod Podge onto the drawer front and lay the paper on top. Cover with another layer of Mod Podge. Let dry and repeat.



When everything is dry, poke the screws for the knobs through the holes and through the wrapping paper. Use the screwdriver to screw the knobs onto the front. (I'll admit, I cheated a bit and had my husband use his power drill to do this part. Thanks, babe!)


(Re)assemble all pieces and admire your handywork!


Here she is put together and in my office/our secondary guest room...


Lets look at a before and after and do a price breakdown:


Cost Breakdown
IKEA Rast Dresser $35
Glidden Sample Paint $3
Paint brushes $2 for 5 @ IKEA
Total Cost: $40!!!

How about that for an IKEA Hack?! 

Have you ever created an IKEA Hack or a Hack of any other brand?
Pin It Now!

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting!