Monday, August 6, 2012

Beach Weekend Part 2

Hello all! We have returned from the beach, somewhat willingly, which is strange for me. Don't get me wrong, we had a ton of fun, but, my love for the beach had quite a few hiccups this weekend.

Are you familiar with the show Gilmore Girls (I promise I'm not changing the subject)? I was an avid watcher and have seen literally every episode multiple times. If I were to buy an entire series on DVD Gilmore Girls would be second only to Friends.

Anywho, Lorelai Gilmore, played by Lauren Graham, is obsessed with snow. She loves it. She believes it makes the world a magical, beautiful place and that it cures a multitude of ills. That's how I feel about the beach. It's my perfect place.

There is one episode of Gilmore Girls in season 5 called "Women of Questionable Morals" which pretty much sums up my weekend. The episode starts with Lorelai waking up smelling the coming snow, despite the lack of snow in the forecast. She wakes up her boyfriend and drags him outside rambling about how much she loves it and the snow soon begins falling softly.

As the episode goes on, Lorelai's relationship with snow gets a bit rocky. It snows so hard that her Jeep gets buried, the guests of her inn call and cancel their reservations, she slips and falls in a puddle of melted snow, and so on. Finally, toward the end of the episode, she starts yelling at the snow exclaiming that they're finished; she doesn't love it anymore.

Eventually, though, they make a reconciliation. And that, my friends is how my beach weekend went.

It started like this:


That's the view from the deck Friday evening. Gorgeous. Blue skies, blue (ish) water and just a short jaunt down to the sand. *Sigh*

We grilled burgers and played a great round of beach volleyball at sunset and listened to music and hung out until the wee hours of the morning. It was the perfect ending to a long, stressful week.

Saturday, we woke up on our own, had a delicious fresh fruit salad for breakfast and got ready to go to the beach.


We headed to the beach, played some more beach volleyball and sat our lawn chairs in the surf and relaxed. 
We ventured out into the waves and walked out over several sand bars. Coming back to shore, I stepped on something....squishy, yet hard at the same time and had a minor freak out. I quickly made my way back to the shallows.

When I tried venturing out with a girlfriend of mine a few minutes later, we were crossed by a jellyfish. No stings, but it didn't bode well for what was further out, so we stopped and went back to our chairs.

Later that afternoon, another couple came down to the beach and brought everyone lunch. We took a break from the sun and enjoyed some food back at the house. When we were finished, we went back to the beach to work off our lunch with even more volleyball. 

While the group was in the surf rinsing off all the sand after the game, one of the guys screamed and started running back to the shore. When he got there, he was bleeding pretty badly from 2 of his toes. He had been pinched by a crab, or so we thought. At that point, we decided we were pretty much done at the beach. Blood + beach = recipe for disaster.

I packed up my chair--one of those cheesy tri-fold loungers from Wal Mart and was in the process of rinsing the sand off in the surf. All of a sudden a big wave (a "rogue tsunami" if you ask my husband) came and knocked the bottom of the chair into my toe and wedged it under my toenail. Man, did that HURT. And it started bleeding like crazy. I'm talking flip-flop full of blood, trailing bloody footprints behind me all the way to the house crazy. 

I hobbled my way back to the house and cleaned and did my best to doctor up my toe,


(which looked like this once I got home yesterday and got my first really good look at it)

This picture doesn't do it justice. The tip is red and swollen and all around the nail is dark purple. Not to mention the bruise underneath it.
It was around that point that we realized our friend's "crab pinch" was in fact a stingray sting (he was treated and is just fine now). But, remember that squishy/hard thing from earlier? Yup, pretty sure it was a stingray I stepped on, just too far up its back to be stung. 

At this point we were all ready to relax and hang out at the house. For dinner,we ate the most deliciously moist, melt-in-your-mouth pork butt that our friend slaved over all day. I made mini pulled pork sliders with King's Hawaiian rolls. YUM! We played some games, listened to music and took it easy the rest of the night. 

The next morning we rushed to clean and pack up and get on the road, because there was a storm rolling in. When we got to Galveston (about 20 minutes from the beach house), we ran into this:


Funnel clouds. Directly in the path we needed to take home. Talk about scary. We drove through some pretty intense storms on the way home, but we finally made it.

Needless to say, I wasn't very happy with the beach when I got home. I'm sure we'll be fine, I mean you can't just give up on over 20 years of a good thing. But I'm not very happy with it at the moment...

How was your weekend?
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!