Wednesday, October 31, 2012

San Antonio Foodie Pt. 2

So, I told you yesterday about the fabulous burgers at Chris Madrid's, and I promised to tell you today about Bill Miller's and Jacala. Mmmmm...

Lunch Tuesday was spent at Bill Miller BBQ. Bill Miller BBQ opened in 1950 as a family-owned and operated restaurant. It was started by (again, who else but) Bill Miller over 60 years ago and continues to be one of the best BBQ places around.

This is the same logo they've had for as long as I can remember. I'm pretty sure it's the original.
I got my favorite, the #1: a brisket po' boy with one side and a drink (which of course I spilled all over the counter as I was asking for a lid. I can't be trusted, y'all!).

Please excuse the blurry cell phone pic. I was so ready to dig in!
The bread is this soft, pillowy poppy seed-topped white bread that is the perfect compliment to their brisket.

I opted for hash browns as my side. Bill Miller has browns are in-cred-uh-ble. The use skin-on potatoes and pan fry them to the perfect amount of golden brown, with a touch of onion, salt and pepper.

I also snagged myself some pickles (because no BBQ is complete without dill pickles) and a piece of their rye bread just to have a few bites. Yum!

My coworker opted for the 2-meat plate, which comes with 3 sides and a drink.


 He opted for brisket and ribs paired with fries, pinto beans and hash browns. I've never had their ribs (I just can't keep away from the brisket!), but there were only bones left when he was done, so I'm pretty sure they were delicious.

Not only does Bill Miller have amazing bar-b-q, but they have at least equally amazing pies. We split a piece of their apple pie (my dad and grandpa's favorite) for dessert.


 As you can see, I forgot to take a before picture. It's just so good, I couldn't be bothered to remember...

This pie has a splendid, flaky crust and is sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar on top. It was the perfect sweet treat at the end of a great lunch.

For dinner, I met my parents for some authentic Mexican food. Jacala ("huh-call-uh") is the oldest restaurant in San Antonio to be run by the same family. It's off the beaten path and is typically either simply stumbled upon or introduced by word of mouth.


This is my dad's favorite Mexican restaurant, if not his all-time favorite. When we were seated, he ordered the table a round of Super Nachos with beef.

He doesn't like anything but beans meat and cheese on his nachos, so we got everything else on the side.
Let me tell you, these bad boys are so good! The chips at Jacala are thick and sturdy and can stand up to a mountain of toppings. You always run the risk of getting thin chips that either break, destroying your perfect bite, or that get soggy before you can truly enjoy your nachos. Here, though, that is not an issue!

Next up was the main course. Again, I got over-excited and forgot to take a before picture. But this is about halfway through...


I got their Enchiladas Verdes (bottom left corner) for the first time and was quite impressed. Their green sauce is has the perfect tanginess, which paired well with the sour cream. And the enchiladas are stuffed with chicken!

My mom got the Regular Dinner (middle of the right side), which consists of 3 cheese enchiladas, 1 puffy taco and beans.

My dad got his standard: the Dinner Platter (top middle), which consists of 3 cheese enchiladas, 2 puffy tacos, rice and beans.

By the end of the day, I was stuffed! It's not often that I indulge quite so much, but when you're trying to cram so many of your favorite restaurants into only 2 days, you do what you gotta do!

What about you? Where are some of your favorite places to eat in your hometown? Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. I just had to smile when I saw this post. I live in the neighborhood near Jacala and Chris Madrid, and of course there are two Bill Miller's close by as well. It's so nice to go home to good places to eat.

    Smiles,

    Carol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!