Sunday, January 6, 2013

Spaghetti Squash "Spaghetti"

Last week I made my first attempt at spaghetti squash. I've had it several times before, but I'd never actually made it myself.

It turned out that it was actually much easier than I thought and of course, it tastes delicious and is a much healthier alternative to a giant bowl of spaghetti!

Start by setting your oven to 375, then cut your spaghetti squash in half lengthwise

What they don't tell you (maybe they do and I just didn't pay attention...) is how hard those suckers are!

It literally took me a carving knife, cleaver and about 20 minutes to cut it in half....


Next, scoop out the seeds from the center of each side (just channel your jack'o lantern skills from a few months ago)


Then, place the halves cut-side down on a foil lined baking sheet and bake for an hour.


When they come out, you should see browning around the edges. When they're cool enough, flip them over and let them continue to cool until they're comfortable to touch.



When cool enough, grab a fork and start shredding the flesh of the squash. It should be quite stringy and should come apart without much effort.



Once I did that, I grabbed my toppings,


and scooped some squash in a bowl and mixed it all together along with a drizzle of olive oil.



Doesn't that look amazing?! Let me just tell you, it was :)

There was a ton left over, so I'm looking for additional ways to prepare it. Do you have any spaghetti squash recipes?


Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. Yum!! This looks so delicious! Definitely going to have to give it a shot:)

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made this once and it is so cool how the squash really turns into spaghetti. I'll pin your recipe and make it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! I've never attempted to make this before and I've never tried it either. I am looking forward to giving it a shot after you shared this. I found your idea next to my project at Alderberry Hill. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh it's just the happiest looking delicious plate o goodness! and how nice since i can't have gluten!

    so happy to find your sweet blog via tuesday's treasures!

    when you have a moment, we'd love to have you stop by to say hi!

    smiles to you.

    michele
    hello lovely inc.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!