Friday, February 8, 2013

Something New: Concerts

Like I told you last week, I'm trying to do at least one new thing every week this year.

Last week I went to two concerts, both of which were new experiences for me.

The first was Eli Young Band. I won tickets and backstage passes to their show at House of Blues from a local radio station, and took my bestie to the show. I'd never been backstage to meet a band.



They are one of my favorite country bands, so I was extremely excited for the opportunity! We got to watch part of their sound check and get a mini private performance from them...

That's us in the middle :)
...and then we got to meet and take pictures with them, and finally, we were treated to some yummy BBQ!


After all the backstage fun, we had to leave the venue for a bit while they got everything set up. We made sure to get in line early so that we would get a great spot. Their opening act, The Cadillac Black, put on a great show!



I could hardly contain myself when EYB started setting up...


Did I mention they're one of my favorites? 

For those of you less familiar with the band, there is no "Eli Young". The band is actually named after the lead singer, Mike Eli and the lead guitarist, James Young.

Mike is on the right, James on the left
Mike is actually from Tomball, a suburb of Houston, so he was right at home for this show. Their song, "Small Town Kid" is about growing up here.


Needless to say, they put on a great show as well :)


They sang all of my favorites...


...and were extremely interactive with the crowd.


I even caught a pic they threw to the audience!


I would absolutely love to go see them again!


Here they are playing my favorite song, Guinevere. Enjoy!



The next night, I went to see the Houston Symphony. I've never been to the Symphony before, despite having played the flute for 7 years. This show was a special show as well--it featured Smokey Robinson!

That's right, the Motown legend performed with the Symphony!


Unfortunately, I have no pictures from the concert, but you can read about it here. I will say that Smokey (who turns 73 this month, btw) still has it! He was interactive and reveled the crown with stories about The Temptations, Stevie Wonder and all of his experiences on the road. It was an amazing experience, and I consider myself lucky to have seen such a great performer!

What new thing have you done this week?

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!